Food I Made This Week: (but was too busy to take pictures and blog about it. Sometimes, I just want relax and and eat while it's hot, ya know?)
I bought a lovely organic chicken and made these three dishes out of it:
* Roasted Chicken with Garlicky Greek Yogurt Mashed Potatoes and Giblet Cracker Stuffing, all covered in tasty gravy made with the pan drippings. I love the sourness the yogurt gives the mashed potatoes. If you like sour cream mashed taters you'll love these.
* Arroz con Pollo (Cuban chicken and rice) - I used the thighs, legs from the roasted chicken I made the day before. Saffron, rice, beer, olives, hot sauce. Yum.
* Matzo Ball Soup, Miami Style - I usually use Manischewitz Matzo Ball Mix when I'm strapped for time. I like them, they're kinda salty which I enjoy. First I shredded and saved the remaining chicken meat from the chicken bones and I used the chicken carcass, celery, carrots, onions, parsley stem, peppercorns to make a nice flavorful chicken stock. Just cover with water, simmer for 2 hours, skim the impurities. Done and done. Make the matzo balls, slice some celery and carrots (yucca and calabasa would make this very Miami-esque), add the chicken meat & stock. Lemon juice and hot sauce add a little Miami flair to a very simple dish.
I guess I went on a bit of a Mexican kick this week:
* Pork Tacos with Salsa Fresca - Grilled pork tenderloin rubbed with chili powder, garlic, olive oil, salt n' peppa. Wrapped in flour tortillas, with fresh heirloom tomato salsa.
* Huevos de Pato Rancheros (Fried Duck Eggs with Salsa) - That very same heirloom tomato salsa poured over super rich Dog Mountain Farms duck eggs while fried in olive oil.
* David Lebovitz makes a tasty looking tomato tart with Springs first tomatoes.
* The New Times: The NYC Board of Health looks to put restaurants out of business with new letter grading system.
* A Hamburger Today shows you how to make the perfect thin cut fries.
Knowing is Half the Battle:
Looks like Spike Mendelsohn of Top Chef fame (you know, the unbearable hipster with all the hats) is coming out with a burger & fries cookbook, The Good Stuff. I wonder if it comes with a free white belt?
In lighter news, the awesome folks at the good ole' USDA wants you to eat factory farmed, hormone infested meat. yay!!!
That's all I got. See ya in a few days folks!